Tuesday 9 January 2018

Barrafina - One Star Michelin Spanish Tapas

I've resumed my working routine and haven't had much time to hunt for food much. I think I've been overly indulgent over the past 1 month and honestly my body is a little tired of good food. Yes you heard that right... I've been eating a staple of caifan and subway for the past one week so there's really nothing much to rave about.


I figured I've featured a range of food in London but yet to showcase any Michelin Star food from there. A lot of people kept telling me to try the Michelin star food there because it's way more affordable than back home. This trip, I visited one or two but didn't exceptionally hunt for Michelin Star food because there were too much other day to day stuff I wish to try. I honestly don't think that eating Michelin Star food in London is any cheaper than Singapore.



This is going to be photo heavy. Our food selection is honestly based on staff recommendation. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. We started our meal with a Mackeral dish that's on the special menu. I forgot to take a photo of the dish because the staff kept us very engaged. Service was excellent and the grilled fish was cooked to a tee such that the bones and the meat were so easy to eat and swallow.

We also had the Stuffed Courgette Flower which is not only pleasing in terms of presentation, it was also prepared excellently. The flavours literally burst through our mouth when we bite through and it's really easy to finish.



I'd be very honest, I wouldn't have been so adventurous to try the food if the staff wasn't there to guide me through my selection. As much as I'd like to pretend I know what I'm eating, I've never heard of some of the dishes before. The Escalivada con Pan de Coca is one dish I have no clue what it is. Apparently it's a dish made of vegetables on toast. It taste really richly seasoned even though I probably won't order it again.

The Iberian Pork Ribs was probably the biggest loser of the night. This isn't to say that it's a totally bad dish. It just pales in comparison to every other dish we tried. The tender meat and fats didn't really gel well together even though the sauce helped to salvage the dish especially if one isn't a fussy eater.


I reserved a special mention to this classic tortilla. Before my trip to London, I was asking Vain Pot to learn to cook me Spanish Omelette. After we tried this, we decided to shelf the idea to preserve the good memories of this dish. The ingredients were oozing out of the omelette skin once you cut into it. I really enjoyed how the flavours were so intense and we found ourselves devouring the dish really quickly. Wow.. if only all my eggs could taste like that...


The Milhojas is another classic dish. It's made up of thin layers of unsweetened pastry filled with custard and decorated with almond flakes. Cutting in and enjoying the dish, we found the dessert balance to be just right. Its light and soothing coolness provided us with the perfect finale to end our Michelin Star experience.

The overall experience is definitely befitting a Michelin Star restaurant. For the service and food, I'd say the pricing is inexpensive. Dining at Barrafina has given me a different perspective to Spanish Tapas.

Barrafina
10 Adelaide Street, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4HZ